The 12 Year Old I.T. Guy, Nicholas Black
- It's not who you are that holds you back. Telling yourself you're not something is what holds you back.
Why Diversity in Video Games Matters, Imran Khan
- "Video games where I can identify with the main character are more engaging than video games where I cannot."
- 80% of black characters in video games are in sports games.
Context for People of Color, Juwan Platt
- There is a lack of context in the community about how coding fits into the world.
- Context → content → diversity
Being a Parent in Tech, Liberty White, John McSwain, and Alex Bowers Schoen
- Talk to managers and others about what will work for you.
So far today we've had talks focusing on the experiences of age, race, class, parenting, gender, and more; only halfway done! #AlterConf— AlterConf Sessions (@AlterConf) February 28, 2015
Professionally Prepared but Not Pioneer Prepared, Monica F. Cox
- In 2012, there were about 150 female African American engineering professors in the U.S.
- "I was prepared to be a professor, but I was not prepared to be a pioneer."
The Labors of Inclusivity, Mariam Asad & Sarah Schoemann
- How do you practice the value of diversity?
Job Listing Minesweeper, Pamela Vickers
- We like a homogeneous team
- Rigid requirements
- Vague structure/policies
- Zealously mediocre
- Aggressive language
The Experience of Access, Laurel Lawson
- Everyone on a team is responsible for UX.
- Accessibility means people can use what you build in the manner of their choice.
- Our architecture should not dictate how people use what we build.
- Even in diverse teams, vision is limited. A team of 4-8 people can only have so much diversity.
- Diverse user bases are bigger and more profitable.
- Access to culture, access to education, access to space
- Access should be easy.